Cream of Celery Soup Recipe:
Cream of Celery Soup is a traditional and cosy recipe that can warm your heart on a cold day. This thick and velvety soup combines celery’s subtle, delicate flavour with creamy goodness to produce a delectable gastronomic experience. This soup is delicious whether served as an appetiser or as a main entrée. In this recipe, we’ll walk you through the steps of creating this hearty soup in the comfort of your own kitchen.
1. Ingredients (serves 4):
- 3 cups of fresh celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 3 cups of vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- Preparing the Celery:Wash the celery thoroughly under cold running water. Trim the ends and chop the celery stalks into small, even pieces. Set aside.
- Sautéing the Aromatics:In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the finely diced onions and sauté until they turn translucent and slightly golden.Stir in the minced garlic and continue cooking for another minute, taking care not to burn the garlic.
- Cooking the Celery:Add the chopped celery to the pot and sauté it with the onions and garlic for about 5 minutes. This will enhance the celery’s flavors and help soften it.
- Making the Roux:Sprinkle the all-purpose flour over the sautéed celery, onions, and garlic. Stir continuously to ensure the flour coats the vegetables evenly. Cook for 2-3 minutes, allowing the flour to cook slightly. This creates a roux that will thicken the soup.
- Adding the Broth:Gradually pour in the vegetable or chicken broth, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil while continuing to stir.
- Simmering the Soup:Once the soup reaches a gentle boil, reduce the heat to low. Let the soup simmer for approximately 15-20 minutes, or until the celery becomes tender and the flavors meld together beautifully.
- Blending the Soup:Turn off the heat and let the soup cool slightly before blending. You can use an immersion blender directly in the pot or transfer the soup in batches to a countertop blender. Blend until the soup reaches a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Adding the Cream:Pour the heavy cream into the blended soup and mix well. The creaminess will add a luxurious touch to the soup’s texture and flavor.
- Seasoning:Season the cream of celery soup with salt and pepper according to your taste preferences. Be cautious with the salt, as the broth might already be seasoned.
- Serving:Ladle the soup into individual bowls and garnish with freshly chopped parsley. The vibrant green of the parsley contrasts beautifully with the pale cream soup, adding a dash of color and freshness.